Saturday, September 14, 2013

Day 13: Discovering Vermont

Kaleidoscope Yarns
It's Saturday, we're in Vermont, the weather is nice -what more could you ask for!  A yarn shop?  Of course!  While Michael and Karen were at Tucker's road race this morning, George took me to the next town over, Essex Junction, to Kaleidoscope Yarns...one of the neatest yarn shops I've been to yet.  She has tons of yarn and tons of gadgets and buttons.  I bought some yarn to make the scarf shown above.
 
I had a good time but kept it short as there's a lot we want to do today.  Did I mention what a great husband I have?  He takes me to all these great yarn shops and waits patiently in the car until I'm ready to move on.  THANK YOU HONEY.....YOU'RE THE BEST!
 
 
 
 
 OK...next stop is Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream (George's favorite), it's made right here in VT.. WHOO HOO!  Michael was on his way to meet us but got caught up in a traffic jam so he told us to go ahead and take the tour.  It was a short 30 minute tour of the ice cream plant with a sample of ice cream at the end.  Michael was waiting on us when we finished the tour then we all hopped in our car and drove up to Stowe.  The leaves are in the early stages of turning but we are probably 3 weeks away from peak season.



Crops Bistro and Brewery
Had lunch at Crops Bistro and Brewery in Stowe.  It's a great little pub and micro-brewery.    The food was out-standing.

Cheesemakers
Last stop...Shelburne Farms.  Michael and I took off for Shelburne Farms in his "go-fast" Porsche and George went back to the motorhome to feed Anna and Isa.  George and I love cheese and you can't visit Vermont without doing some cheese shopping!  They had lots of samples so I settled on a smoked cheddar.  Also bought Karen a white pumpkin and some maple candy for Tucker....he came in third in the road race! 
 
 

Covered Bridge
Michael and Karen
We all met back at the Dunavin house where Karen had been busy preparing dinner.  Told her not to fuss but she fussed so I fussed that she fussed.  Michael, Karen and I went on a short hike to a really neat covered bridge which is just around the corner from their house.

Michael and Karen surprised me with a wonderful piece of pottery (do they know me or what!).  It's a beautiful appetizer tray with a small bowl, earth-tone colors with leaves on it and I love, love, love it!

Michael grilled some fabulous filets while Karen prepared scrumptious twice-baked potatoes, broiled asparagus and a green salad.  For dessert, Karen made a fantastic apple crisp....yum!  Honestly, it was just a wonderful evening, wonderful meal and wonderful being with family.  Then.....we were blessed with a gorgeous sunset to end our day!

Sunset
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

No comments: