Monday, May 6, 2013

Day 25: Joshua Tree National Park

Joshua Tree NP
George's vacation is O-ver so, after he got off work, we visited Joshua Tree NP.  He has been there/camped there, therefore, an excellent tour guide.  We started at the south end of the park (which he had not done) and ended at the north end.  By far, the north end is the most different and spectacular.  We passed through the Ocotillo Patch (not in bloom) and the Cholla Cactus Garden then tons of Joshua trees and rock outcroppings.  The rock outcroppings (actually, more like boulders) ranged from the size of a 2-story building to the size of a skyscraper.
 
 
Rock Outcropping





 
Rock Outcropping


How would you like to camp here:


Or here?
This is the most unusual camping area I've ever seen.  There are about 75 campsites carved around the winding rock outcroppings - all different and unique and most are very private.  You cannot make reservations....it is first-come, first-served.  Most people tent camp but you can get a Class B or C  camper in here but no electric or sewer.  The park has toilet facilities and bottled water can be supplied.  As we drove around it, we saw people sitting outside reading books, having a glass of wine, hiking and rock climbing.  The temperature is around 60 degrees and a little windy up here.......a very peaceful place.  I would love to camp here for a few days.


Coachella Valley
At Keys Peak, you can see for miles across the Coachella Valley.  Not a great picture but the best I could do.  There were storms in the distance....I thought it never rained in Southern CA but, guess what, it rained a little bit today!

As we descended this area there were more and more Joshua Trees and rock outcroppings.  One was called "Skull Rock".
Skull Rock

 
Once back at our campground, it was "dreaded laundry day" time...there were 3 washers and 3 dryers and I had 4 loads - UGH.  Resigned to get it all done, I dedicated the evening to taking a hike to and fro the laundry facilities.  George fixed Jambalya for dinner (YUM - and thank you honey!). 

My heart was very heavy today as my thoughts were with my dearest friend back home in Atlanta...her mom passed on Sunday.  We talked for a bit Sunday night and my heart breaks for her. 

I'm also sad that I can't be there with her/for her as she has always been there for me (at my mom's funeral and many other times in my life). 

Pat, may god bless and keep you and Les and your dad safe and help you through this most difficult time.  Our thoughts and prayers are with you now and always....and I love you dearly!




No comments: