Friday, August 14, 2015

Preparing to leave again, the "dropsies" and other fairy tales...

    It's 8PM Thursday night, August 14, and we are supposed to leave tomorrow on our trip out West; however, George has yet to resolve the wiring issues with the Jeep in that, when he plugs it into the motorhome, the right turn signal doesn't work.  This has been going on for weeks and I announced then that I wasn't leaving until all electrical issues were solved....it's just not safe.   Randy and Bev came over for the big send-off and, while Bev and I chatted in the motorhome, Randy and George were in the garage working on the Jeep.  It's now 10PM and the guys stuck their smiling faces in the motorhome to announce that the Jeep is fixed.  Hallelujah!  I think George had looked at it so long that he just wasn't seeing the obvious where Randy brought fresh eyes and knowledge to the situation and, after walking through it step-by-step, figured out the problem.  THANKS Randy!
     
    So, it's now Friday morning, we're loading the coach and, as usual, I get tired and have to rest in between loads because of this new BP medicine I'm taking...ugh.  In trying to move it along, I get the dropsies.  It actually started last night when I dropped a can of tomato paste on the kitchen floor....that was fun to clean up.  I also spilled a glass of wine in the motorhome while visiting with Bev.  This morning, I dropped a carton of sour cream and it exploded when it hit the floor so I had to expend more energy (that I don't have) cleaning up the mess.  Next, I dropped a large glass of ice water which ran about half the length of the coach and, for some reason, I started chasing it, getting my feet wet and almost going "ass over tea kettle".  So, more time for yet another clean-up then I did the same thing again!

    Rainbow
    We finally got on the road at 12:50PM and saw a beautiful rainbow (not a good picture) so we're smiling and all is well.  We drove 7 hours and are still in the State of Florida so, in an attempt to at least feel like we've made some progress, we pushed it an extra hour and made it to the first Rest Stop we came to in AL.  I fixed us a sandwich and, while eating, a tractor-trailer pulled in and we began to hear mooing sounds....yep, a truck load of cows just pulled in.  We looked at each other at the exact same moment and about fell in the floor laughing so hard. Now exhausted from all the excitement, George collapsed on the couch and I slept cross-wise on the bed as it's apparently "tabu" to open slides in a rest area as it tends to piss off the truckers.  My, oh my, aren't we getting just a bit sensitive???  Friend Bev has nicknamed me "Biker Babe" for spending the night in a truck stop....HEY, it was a REST STOP - not a TRUCK STOP... big difference!
     
    Great River Road Sign
     
    Bridge over MS River
    
    George woke me early Saturday morning, we had a Cinnabon and were on the road.  After a while, we stopped for gas and coffee....finally coffee...and it was soooo good and worth the wait.  We followed I-10 to Gulfport, MS then headed north through Hattiesburg, Jackson and Vicksburg then up the Great River Road (along the Mighty Mississippi) through Louisiana and Arkansas taking I-40 into Russellville and stopped at Ivy's Cove Campground for the night.  Got here just in time for happy hour.  It was also quite nice to open up the slides and enjoy the evening.  The cats have gone nuts running and playing after two days of being cooped up.  The dropsies have continued and are contagious as George is now dropping stuff.

    Sunday morning came too early...5:00 CST to be exact.  I heard George get up and couldn't get back to sleep so we had coffee, more coffee, a breakfast sandwich and got on I-40 heading West.  Went through Fayetteville, AR then Joplin, MO enjoying a section of the Ozarks along this ride.  Took a left into Kansas and ended up at a KOA Campground in Wellington, KS.  We are here for a few days and there is a total of 2 things listed to do (1) the Chisolm Trail Museum which has 5 reviews, and (2) the National Glass Museum which has 4 reviews. Hmmm....I was hoping to shop for the cool Brighton purse I saw recently while shopping with Bev but I guess that is completely out of the question.  The good news is that we have good wifi, it's quiet here and I will probably have the pool to myself tomorrow.
     

No comments: