Thursday, May 14, 2015

Fort Chiswell, VA

We are once again in the middle of nowhere and, as we know, the only thing to do in the middle of nowhere is to go flea market shopping and I just happened to eye a few places along our route.  The first one was Snoopers Flea Market.  Snoopers had the most old tools I've seen so far which excited me,; however, they had everything BUT a pick ax...so my bubble was burst.
 
Next stop was Fort Chiswell Antique Mall which also turned out to be useless in my pick ax search; however, I made friends with Elaine, the owner.  She called three other flea markets in the area but no pick ax.  One would think that in the mountainous terrain of Virginia and West Virginia, pick axes would be plentiful. 
 
For those of you who are not  familiar with the pick ax, it's a tool about the size of a hammer with a pointed or chizzled end, depending on your preference, and some have longer handles.  Basically, they look like a small mattox.  The purpose is to pick rocks looking for gemstones and stuff which is exactly what I want to do on our trip out West this Fall.  My friend, Carole Stansfield, gave me the idea as she did this when she lived in CO.  She has created a "pick ax monster" out of me as I now am on the rampage to find one.


Estwing Rock Pick
George pulled up an online picture of one and it was called a "geological tool" which costs $35 at a minimum.  See....this is why I'm looking for one at a flea market because I don't want to pay $35 (or more) and, if you call them a pick ax or rock pick and get them at a flea market, they only cost 5 bucks or so.

No comments: