Friday, July 8, 2016

The rest of the week...

Tuesday was housekeeping day so I vacuumed, mopped and did a couple of loads of laundry.  Because I was running the washing machine and dryer (+ A/C), I overloaded the electrical panel and we had to call maintenance.  Got my hand slapped.  So, from now on, I can only do laundry at night, whatever! 

Had to get out of the house Wednesday, so I went out in search of, you guessed it, yarn shops.  First stop was Yarn Quest where I met Sandra, the owner.  She has a plethora of nice yarn and took me on a tour of the shop describing each skein and what size needle to use.  I asked if she had any "knit-in's" on the calendar (this is where ladies congregate for a few hours to sit, knit, talk, and "show and tell" about their latest projects).  She said "no...she used to, but there were problems".  Didn't ask any more questions.  Bought a skein of yarn and was on my way...

Next stop was Lost Art, which was nearby.  A very nice German lady owns this shop.  Her granddaughter also works there and her black standard poodle, Matilda, acts as the mascot.  The yarn selection is mostly heavy wool which doesn't appeal to this Floridian.  She also has a lot of needlepoint supplies.  Said goodbye and on my way...

The next one is Knit Knorth right in the middle of downtown Traverse City.  Just by the funky spelling of the name, I think I will like this one.  Well, downtown TC is packed with tourists (ahem) and street parking is the only option.  I drove around the block six ways to Sunday but wasn't able to find a spot so I will save this visit for when the Cherry Festival is over.  On the way home I treated myself to a Chocolate Cherry Custard...YUM!

It's everything "CHERRY" here...


It's now Thursday which is Mah Jongg day at the Main Clubhouse.  We had two tables, including me, so it worked out perfectly.  Met some nice ladies, three of which were also from FL, one of which lives no more than 5 miles from my house...go figure.  Look forward to playing with them again.

George and I cooked steaks on the grill tonight accompanied by steamed veggies and garlic mushrooms cooked in butter.  It started to sprinkle so we pulled the picnic table under our awning...nothing was going to spoil our cookout!

Woke up Friday morning to rain which turned into a real downpour by mid-morning.  Didn't have much planned other than finding the nearest Walmart and shopping area which we did.  They actually have a mall here.  After scoping out the shopping area, the sun came out so we drove up to the Mission Point Lighthouse.  It's a very small lighthouse, built in 1870, located on the northernmost tip of Old Mission Peninsula.  It is also on the 45th parallel (or halfway between the North Pole and the Equator).  There were a lot of people up here, many of which dared to wade in the cold waters of the Bay.

Old Mission Lighthouse



The Hessler Log House was built in 1854 of hand hewn pine and hemlock logs and eventually  transferred to the lighthouse property in the late 1800's.

On the way home, we passed about 8 wineries, which I will visit another day...



No comments: