Monday, July 11, 2016

It's been a week!

Wow....it's Monday and we've been here a week already.  Can't believe how fast last week passed.  I was thinking of going downtown this morning but I slept too late.  Funny thing, our bedroom is dark, cool and quiet and I could sleep forever. I've already found out that, if you don't get downtown fairly early, you'll never find a place to park. Oh well, ended up going to the grocery store for a few things.   Actually this store is more like a Super Super Market...like Walmart on steroids.  Maybe you've been to one?  It's Meijer (pronounced Meyer).   They have a huge wine, beer and liquor assortment, plus clothes, household and kitchen items, pharmacy, nursery, etc.  Bought a bottle of wine from 3 of the local wineries to try.  As you can see, I really like the Leelanau Cellars Sweet Red.

As I was leaving the campground I saw that Sue was sitting outside on her patio so I stopped to chat.  Well, I have to back-track a bit..I met Jan Saturday morning at the continental breakfast and she told me I needed to meet Sue who has a space up the street from us and that Sue's husband is away on business so she is also looking for someone to hang with.  Anyway, got out of my car and Sue said "you must be Karen", and that was the end of that.  We sat and talked for quite some time and she is just a delightful lady and my new summer friend.

Once home from food shopping, my next door neighbors, Helen and Jerry, were outside and came over to say hello.  They were telling me all kinds of places to go, things to do til my head was spinning.  They have a condo in Dalonoga, GA and are headed back there Sat to put their place on the market.   They own their lot here in Traverse Bay and have recently purchased a lot in Tuscon and will be building there soon. This got me to thinking, I think retirement is a multitude of change....change in passion, change in interests and change in location.  My in-laws, for example, are on their third retirement home.  Perhaps we are constantly in search of the perfect place which may or may not exist.

When George finished work, we went shopping for new outdoor folding chairs.  Checked out Menard's, which I've never heard of, and is like a Home Depot on steroids.  Man, they have some cool stores "up north".  Along the drive, we found Wuerfel Park, the local ball field and home of the Traverse Bay Beach Bums.  Can't wait to go to a baseball game.

Fixed a delicious but simple dinner.....salmon wrapped in heavy foil, seasoned with salt, pepper, a pat of butter and capers.  Also, corn on the cob wrapped in heavy foil with salt and a pat of butter and, lastly, asparagus spears wrapped in heavy foil with a pat of butter.  George put everything on the grill in proper order and it tasted amazing.  Love being able to have dinner outdoors and enjoy the cool evenings (sorry, I don't mean to rub it in but the climate is really nice here!).



No comments: