Saturday, April 20, 2013

Day 9: Big Bend National Park

This morning we ate at Shirley's Burnt Biscuits, a local breakfast place famous for their biscuits and fried pies.  Being from the South, I'm a pretty good judge of biscuits and fried pies.  Shirley's biscuits are more like rolls and a tad "burnt" on top...not like the light and flaky biscuits I'm used to so I'm giving her a 3.  However, her fried pies are to-die-for...flaky crust and lots of good stuff inside.  My favorite is apricot and hers were excellent so I'm going back in the morning for more and I'm giving her a 9.5.  The only person who gets a 10 on fried pies is my mom.....I can still taste them and hers are still the best ever!
 
Shirley's Burnt Biscuits
Big Bend Nat'l Park
 
On to Big Bend National Park.  We started at Panther Junction driving 20 miles south to Boquillas Canyon Overlook then Rio Grande Village.  This area is suffering from severe drought and the Rio Grande, which is not so grand, is so low you can walk across it in places...very sad.  I do believe I could hit a driver over the Rio Grande into Mexico - and I'm certain Muriel could!
 
Rio Grande River
Mexican Trinkets
We could see wild horses across the river and the Federali's were standing guard with rifles on the Mexican side.  The Mexicans left trinkets on the US side with a message to leave money in the container by the rock.  Problem is, if they are caught crossing the river to get the money, they are arrested and, if you are caught making an illegal purchase, you are arrested. 

So...20 miles back to Panther Junction then 13 miles to Castolon/Santa Elena Junction and 22 miles down the Ross Maxwell Scenic Drive and scenic it was.  Up to now, the scenery was somewhat boring, brown and dusty but this area was pretty interesting.  8 more miles took us to Santa Elana Canyon where the paved road ended and we travelled 13 miles on a gravel road to civilization.  This is a huge park, not my favorite, but miles of desert, mountain terrain, dried up creeks with lots of cacti and drought tolerant plants.
 
 



 
George-ism of the day:  Me:  So far, we haven't seen any wildlife in the park.  George:  Honey, I''m sitting right here.  HA! 
 
Wildlife in Big Bend:  1 Roadrunner, 1 lizard and George!

No comments: