Saturday, April 30, 2011

Day 16 - Sedona at last!

Bell Rock


Red Rock State Park

It's Saturday (YEAH!) so we got up early and made our way to the Red Rock State Park near Sedona where we took a 1.8 mile hike over the Javelina Trail.  The hike was great but, once again, no wildlife other than a lizard or two.  Of course, that could be a good thing.  There are 6 different trails through the park so we will have to return another day to experience the other 5. 

After the hike we headed toward Sedona and stopped at several viewing areas for picture-taking and, honestly, this area is as spectacular (to me) as the Grand Canyon.  My favorite was Bell Rock

Then, in Sedona, we stopped at an outdoor quilters exhibit at the Quilters Store of Sedona where we got to vote on our favorite quilt.  Pat is a quilter and belongs to several guilds in CA so she didn't want to miss it and, quite frankly, I enjoyed it myself.  The guys, however, stood around with arms folded bored to tears. 

By this time we were ravenous so we had lunch at Javelina Cantina which was recommended by a neighbor of Tom and Pats - good recommendation!  It was a very modern/southwestern decor' with 2 outdoor patios that were filled so we enjoyed our food inside.  We also learned that a "javelina" is a big hog-like creature....which is what we felt like after lunch!  We were in a shopping area called Ridgeway and walked around all the unique shops.  There were lots of artsy wind chimes and "wind art" that fascinated all of us.  There was a loveseat made of large pieces of stone in the courtyard which was amazing and amazingly comfortable but so was the price tag - $5k. 

That was about all the shopping the guys could take so we returned to the RV Park, however, I didn't get my fill of Sedona so I took off in the car for further exploration.  I roamed up and down Highway 179 and 89A taking in all the sites, pushing my memory to remember where everything was and stopping at as many shops as I could before the 6-0'clock hour.  Once I returned to the park, we were not hungry after the big lunch so we just chilled out and experienced another beautiful sunset. 

No comments: