Saturday, August 13, 2016

Maine it is......

Tiny House
We got into Forest Ridge Campground in Ellsworth, ME about 2:00 Tuesday.  Sue and Bob were able to get in yesterday due to a cancellation.  Shortly after we got set up, a "Tiny House" rolled in and everyone in the park came out to see it and greet the young couple from Dallas, TX.  It took them two years but they did it - they built it themselves and are going to settle in Oregon after visiting the East Coast.

We went out to dinner at Union River Lobster Pot in Ellsworth.  Bob and Sue shared a lobster, I had a lobster roll and George had lobster mac and cheese...yumm!

After dinner, we enjoyed a nice fire in the fire pit between our two RV's.


Wednesday was our first full day here and Sue has already found a nearby yarn shop so George drove us there and patiently waited outside while we checked it out.  He pretty much told me that, if I buy more yarn, I'm going to have to walk home so I obliged, remembering all the yarn sitting in the coach that I've already purchased.  On the way home, it started raining which I think it's supposed to do  off and on throughout the weekend.  We went to dinner at Ruth and Wimpy's, a local restaurant that the park owner recommended.  Sue and Bob each ordered a lobster, George had some great lobster bisque, which I helped myself to, and I had shrimp.

Stewman's
Lobster Roll at Stewman's
We went into Bar Harbor on Thursday.  Had a really difficult time finding parking.  It was busier than we've ever seen it.  First stop was Stewman's, my favorite restaurant right on the harbor.  George missed out on this one last year so he tried one and said it was the best he has had.  We walked all over town as it was a perfectly beautiful day, then headed home as the crowd swelled to new heights.  I bought Janice some popover mix to make when we get home.  We grilled burgers for dinner and sat out by the fire pit til the bugs ran us inside.

Friday we drove over to Acadia National Park and was able to get in on the first seating at the Jordon Pond restaurant.  We had popovers, of course, and Sue bought some popover mix at the gift shop after.  In case you are not familiar, a popover is baked in an elongated muffin pan, rises up high with a big puffy top and is hollow inside.  While hot, you cut in half, slather with butter then strawberry jam and enjoy.   Everyone either had lobster or seafood stew except me and I had their chicken salad, which I love. 

Schooners
There were two tall ships in Bar Harbor.  The larger (white) one with 4 masts is the Margaret Todd, 191' long and the black/white one with two masts is the Rachael B. Jackson, 91'  long.  They both run day sails out of Bar Harbor.  That's Misty in the foreground, Bob and Sue's dog.

After lunch, we drove around the park loop, and up to Cadillac Mountain.  That's when I started feeling bad so I stayed in the car.  I caught a bad cold Sunday and it has finally got me down. 
Acadia NP

Saturday I stayed home all day, napping often and taking medicine.  Had to cancel golf with the Chaisson's but it ended up being a cold, rainy day so no one really wanted to be outside anyway.  In between napping, I paid bills and did a load of laundry.  I sent George to the store for more meds and he brought me a bag of cookies.   Sue and Bob went for a drive and visited a couple of yarn shops and she brought me a bag of candy.  Wow...not such a bad day after all!





How would you like to live here?










No comments: